Development of Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs) and Derived Materials for Multifunctional Catalysis
The present research focuses on developing cost-effective catalysts based on metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) and derived materials. MOFs—crystalline nanoporous materials—possess high specific surface area, tunable pore size, and dynamic redox features. Additionally, these materials can be engineered for exciting applications in heterogeneous catalysis via pre-synthetic and post-synthetic modifications. The current thesis centers on the chemical modification at the nodes and linkers to convert inactive MOFs to highly efficient and multifunctional catalysts. For instance, incorporation of different divalent metals (Co, Ni) in the framework of monometallic (Fe) MOF or addition of basic (-NH2, -OH) functionality at the ligand generated catalysts with improved catalytic activity. Additionally, through controlled thermal decomposition, the morphology and surface area of MOFs can be transformed into catalytically active nanostructured materials. Engineered MOFs catalyzed oxidation, reduction, dehydrogenation, hydrogen evolution reaction (HER), and oxygen evolution reaction (OER).
List of Publications
1. Iqbal, B., Laybourn, A., & Zaheer, M. (2021). Size-controlled synthesis of spinel nickel ferrite nanorods by thermal decomposition of a bimetallic Fe/Ni-MOF. Ceramics International, 47(9), 12433-12441.
2. Iqbal, B., Saleem, M., Arshad, S. N., Rashid, J., Hussain, N., & Zaheer, M. (2019). One‐Pot Synthesis of Heterobimetallic Metal–Organic Frameworks (MOFs) for Multifunctional Catalysis. Chemistry–A European Journal, 25(44), 10490-10498.
3. Aftab, F., Duran, H., Kirchhoff, K., Zaheer, M., Iqbal, B., Saleem, M., & Arshad, S. N. (2020). A facile synthesis of FeCo nanoparticles encapsulated in hierarchical n-doped carbon nanotube/nanofiber hybrids for overall water splitting. ChemCatChem, 12(3), 932-943.
4. Ibrahim, S., Shehzadi, K., Iqbal, B., Abbas, S., Turner, D. R., & Nadeem, M. A. (2019). A trinuclear cobalt-based coordination polymer as an efficient oxygen evolution electrocatalyst at neutral pH. Journal of colloid and interface science, 545, 269-275.
5. Batool, M., Ibrahim, S., Iqbal, B., Ali, S., Badshah, A., Abbas, S., ... & Nadeem, M. A. (2019). Novel cobalt-fumarate framework as a robust and efficient electrocatalyst for water oxidation at neutral pH. Electrochimica Acta, 298, 248-253.