Roundtable: IC Design in Pakistan
The event also contains live zoom and recorded interviews of IC Design Experts from India, Iran, and Egypt who will share their experiences of starting IC Design Industry in these peer countries with sort of similar circumstances as Pakistan.
Important people from Academia and Industry working in IC Design in Pakistan will sit together and brainstorm on the future of IC Design teaching and research to fulfil national and eventually international needs. The roundtable also includes live and recorded interviews of IC Design Experts from neighbor and peer countries to steer the discussion.
The discussion will be led by Prof. Asad Abidi who himself needs no introduction for his contributions in the field of Circuit Design. Prof. Asad Abidi is the Distinguished Chancellor's Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles. With his students he has developed many of the radio circuits and architectures that enable today's mobile devices. He also holds the Abdus Salam Chair at the Syed Babar Ali School of Science & Engineering (SBASSE), LUMS, Lahore.
The panel includes:
- Dr. Rashad Ramzan from NUCES-FAST, Islamabad. Dr. Rashad Ramzan works in the area of Analog, Digital and RF IC design. He is also the Director of the Integrated Circuit Design (ICD) Lab at FAST -National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (NUCES), Islamabad. He is currently hosting an MS Analog IC Design Program funded by NECOP having a batch of 25+ fellows.
- Dr. Arsalan Jawed from PAF-KIET, Karachi. Dr. Arsalan Jawed works in the area of Analog, Digital and RF IC design. He is also heading the Electronic Devices, Circuits and Systems (EDCAS) research lab at PAF-KIET, Karachi. He is currently hosting an MS Analog IC Design Program funded by NECOP having a batch of 10+ fellows.
- Dr. Bilal Zafar is Founder of 10xEngineers, Lahore. Dr. Bilal Zafar is the founder and CEO at 10xEngineering, Lahore. It is a Hardware-based Startup around IC-Design and Verification. Previously, he has been in the faculty of Electrical/Computer Engineering at University of Central Punjab (UCP), Lahore and also the Technical Lead at Lempro Melon. His current work focus is around Digital Design and particularly, System Verification.
- Dr. Wala Saadeh from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Wala Saadeh works in the area of ultra-low-power Analog, Digital and Mixed Signal Design for healthcare applications. She is an Assistant Professor at the EE Dept. LUMS and a co-founder of Integrated Circuit (IC) Design Laboratory (ICDL) at LUMS. She is also contributing to the NECOP Fellowship program on Digital IC Design being hosted at LUMS.
- Dr. Abubakr Muhammad from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Abubakr Muhammad is an associate professor and chair of electrical engineering, the founding director of the Center for Water Informatics & Technology (WIT), and the lead for NCRA National Agricultural Robotics Lab at LUMS. He also serves on various advisory panels to government agencies and industry in Pakistan on water, climate, and agricultural policy.
- Dr. Awais Bin Altaf from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Awais Bin Altaf works in the area of ultra-low-power Analog, Digital and Mixed Signal Design for healthcare and deep learning applications. He is an Assistant Professor at the EE Dept. LUMS and a co-founder of Integrated Circuit (IC) Design Laboratory (ICDL) at LUMS. He is the key person to start the NECOP Fellowship program on Digital IC Design at LUMS.
- Dr. Wasif Tanveer Khan from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Wasif Tanveer Khan works in the area of RF circuits and Antenna design. He is an Assistant Professor at the EE Dept. LUMS and director of Microwave Antennas and Circuits (MAC) Research Lab.
- Mr. Ashraf Nisar from Rapid Silicon, Lahore. Mr. Ashraf Nisar is the General Manager (GM) of Rapid Silicon that is a new company started after Lempro Melon. They work on different international projects in the domain of IC Design and Verification.
- Dr. Hammad Cheema from NUST, Islamabad. Dr. Hammad Cheema works in the area of Analog and RF IC design. He is the principal of Research Institute for Microwave and Millimeter Wave Studies (RIMMS) at National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Islamabad.
- Dr. Muhammad Tahir from UET, Lahore. Dr. Muhammad Tahir is the departmental chair of Department of Electrical Engineering at UET Lahore. He is leading the IC design initiative taken place at 8 public sector universities in Punjab. Keeping the current local job market in perspective, the main focus of this initiative is design verification flow and tools.
- Dr. Sajid Baloch from NECOP, Islamabad. Dr. Sajid Baloch is the Director General (DG) of National Electronics Complex (NECOP). He is the key person behind initiating several MS IC-Design Fellowship Programs at different national universities, including FAST-NUCES, PAF-KIET and LUMS. NECOP supports research and development projects of different natures in all domains of IC design including Analog, Digital, RF and Mixed Signal Design.
- Dr. Shahid Masud from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Shahid Masud works in the area of design and implementation of DSP Systems and computer architecture. He is a Professor at EE Dept. LUMS and has served as the departmental chair of EE and Dean of the Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering (SBASSE). He has also served as the Director of Electronics and Embedded Systems (EESL) in its early years. He is currently serving at the board of Lahore Technopolis (Lahore Knowledge Park).
- Dr. Muhammad Adeel Pasha from SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore. Dr. Adeel Pasha works in the area of low-power microarchitecture, energy-efficient hardware design, hardware acceleration of machine learning and deep neural networks, and green computing. He is an Associate Professor at the EE Department, LUMS where he is also serving as the Director of Electronics and Embedded Systems Lab (EESL) since 2014. He is also contributing to the NECOP Fellowship program on Digital IC Design being hosted at LUMS.