International Biophysics Workshops
"2. Macromolecular Structure and Dynamics"
Event Date: March 24-25, 2022
Event Poster: Download
This workshop will highlight the revolution in the study of Macromolecular Structure & Dynamics led by developments in:
- High-flux synchrotron beamlines
- Optical physics of micro-crystallites
- Cryogenic electron microscopy (Cryo-EM)
- High-performance computing
The workshop series introduce cutting edge developments in the study of complex Biological and Organic materials. Their links to the core principles of Physics, Information Science, Molecular Biology and Organic Chemistry will be emphasized. The workshops aim to build a biophysics research community within Pakistan and collaborations with regional and international partners. Round table discussions address how the multidisciplinary culture required to nurture this area can be created.
This workshop will draw together national and international speakers/researchers working at the interfacial disciplines of Structural Biology, Molecular Dynamics and Materials Physics.
Dr. Jose Carazo (National Center for Biotechnology, Spain)
Keynote Speech on “Cryo-EM – It’s amazing capability to follow macromolecular structural changes”
Dr. Jay Nix (Lawrence Berkeley Labs, USA)
Drs. Geerten Vuister/Vicky Higman (Leicester University, UK)
Dr. Tanweer Hussain (Indian Institute of Science, India)
Dr. Humayun Sharif (Harvard University, USA)
Dr. Sheikh Mohammed Arif (Blundell Group – Cambridge University, UK)
Dr. Anas Khawaja (Karolinska Institut, Sweden)
Dr. Ishrat Jabeen (NUST, Islamabad)
Dr. Hammad Naveed (NUCES-FAST Lahore)
Dr. Shafqat Rasool (McGill University, Canada)
Dr. Arooj Shafiq (Salim Habib University)
Dr. Maqsood Ahmed (Islamia University, Bahawalpur)
Dr. Moaz ur Rahman (Punjab University, Lahore)
Dr. Javed Akhtar (PINSTECH, Islamabad)
Dr. Shahid Khan (Lawrence Berkeley Labs, USA)
Dr. Shahzad ul Hassan (SBASSE, LUMS, Lahore)
Roundtable on "Biorganics and Protein Crystallography in Pakistan"
Dr. Muhmmad Imran (FC College University)
Dr. Sammer Yousaf (HEJ Karachi)
Dr. Moaz ur Rehman (SBS Punjab University)
Dr Muhammad Saleem (SBS Punjab University)
Dr. Maqsood Ahmed (IUB, Bahawalpur)
Dr. Ahmad Ikrem (BZU Multan)
Dr. Falak Sher (Chemistry, LUMS)
Roundtable on "XRD and Molecular Dynamics"
Dr. Ata Ulhaq and Dr. Ammar Ahmed Khan (Physics, LUMS)
Dr. Falak Sher (Chemistry, LUMS)
Event Date: March 25-26, 2021
Biophysics is a branch of Physics dedicated to the investigation of biological systems. The conference will draw together national and international speakers/researchers at the interface of Systems Biology, Quantum Physics and Materials Science around three major themes:
- Active matter self-organization
- Nanomaterials and nanodevices
- Signaling in biological systems
The conference aims to build a biophysics research community within Pakistan and collaborations with regional and international partners. A round table will discuss how the multi-disciplinary culture required to nurture this area can be created.
Prof. Gautam I. Menon (The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, India)
Keynote Speech on “Active Matter and Large Scale Nuclear Architecture”
- Prof. Sriram Ramaswamy (Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India)
“Active Matter Self-Organization”
- Prof. Padmini Rangamani (University of California San Diego, USA)
"Physical Design of Neuronal Signal Circuits"
- Prof. Talat S. Rahman (University of Central Florida, USA)
"Physics of Nanomaterials "
- Prof. Linda Kenney (University of Texas Galveston. USA)
- Prof. Ghanim Ullah (University of South Florida, USA)
“Investigating the calcium hypothesis of Alzheimer’s disease”
- Prof. Shahid Khan (Lawrence Berkeley Lab, Berkeley USA)
- Prof. Junhua Yuan (USTC, Hefei, China)
"Collective motions enhance bacterial swarm chemotaxis"
- Prof. Suhita Nadkarni (Indian Institute of Sciences and Research, Pune, India)
“Energy-Information prescription for synapses”
- Prof. Khalid Machaca (Weil Cornell Medicine, Qatar)
“Calcium tunneling: a tightly coupled calcium signaling modality”
- Prof. Sabieh Anwar (Physics, SBASSE, LUMS, Pakistan)
“Avian navigation explained by quantum mechanics”
- Dr. Muhammad Zahir Iqbal (Engineering Sciences, GIKI, Pakistan)
“Two-dimensional layered materials based biosensors”
- Dr. Qasim Mehmood (ITU, Lahore, Pakistan)
“Artificially Engineered Flat Nanodevices for Optical Bio-imaging”
- Dr. Ammar Ahmed Khan (Physics, SBASSE, LUMS, Pakistan)
“Liquid Crystal Self-Assembly”
- Dr. Ata Ulhaq (Physics, SBASSE, LUMS, Pakistan)
“Semiconductor Quantum Dots for fluorescence imaging”
- Dr. Adam Zaman (Physics, SBASSE, LUMS, Pakistan)