ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A WORLD-CLASS, FULLY FUNDED PHD EXPERIENCE IN ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPUSES IN PAKISTAN?
SBASSE and TWAS-UNESCO partner for the PhD programmes for foreign applicants!
APPLY NOW to the TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships!
The Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering strives to recruit international PhD students as well as post-doctoral researchers to create global partnerships for solving big challenges faced by the region and the large, employing and synthesizing new knowledge in science, engineering and innovation. Towards this mission, the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) is excited to announce its partnership with The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries (TWAS), a programme unit of the United Nations Educational, Scientific And Cultural Organization (UNESCO), to launch a fellowship programme for recruiting excellent PhD and post-doctoral researchers from the developing world.
Application must be made on the LUMS portal for PhD applications (see Submitting your application below). Students must apply online using this portal, and upon selection, will then be given an official admission offer letter from the Office of Admissions at LUMS.
TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the departments of The Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering (SBASSE) of the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan for studies leading to a PhD degree in one of the following fields:
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical and Environmental Engineering
The applicants can check the programme faculty/prospective PhD supervisors that they will be working with during their PhD through the link.
- Applicants must be not registered for a PhD degree in their home country in order to apply for the fellowship.
- The Fellowship may be granted for a maximum period of 60 months (or five years).
- LUMS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and women are especially encouraged to apply.
- Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- Hold a Master's degree in a field of natural sciences*;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
*Computer sciences and IT fall under Engineering Sciences for TWAS.
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is Wednesday, 13 March 2024 (11:59 pm Pakistan time).
- Apply online here: https://admissions.lums.edu.pk/ by doing the following:
- First create an account using your email address;
- Then apply selecting the PhD Foreign National Programmes;
- Once you have applied to the programme of your choice, your application will be shared with the prospective supervisors and you may be required to participate in an online interview.
- Please note you can only submit the required documents a few days AFTER the deadline. You will be provided with complete information on the email addresss used for applying. Deadline for material is 15 March 2024 (11:59 pm Pakistan time).
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Have any questions?
Office of the Dean
Syed Babar Ali School of Science & Engineering
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
DHA, Lahore Cantt. 54792,
Phone: +92 42 3560 8000; Ext: 3761
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
Fax: +39 040 2240689