The SBASSE Complex is a testament to the commitment of teaching and research excellence that SBASSE aspires to achieve. It is housed in a purpose-built complex located on the LUMS campus. The physical infrastructure of SBASSE is pivotal to its vision of multi-disciplinary research and education. It comprises of the state-of-the-art teaching and research laboratories, lecture halls, classrooms, computer clusters, other learning spaces and faculty, staff and graduate student offices.
Plans for this infrastructure have been drawn up by the renowned architect Habib Fida Ali. The architecture is based on a facilities programme developed by the project team in collaboration with Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates, a renowned campus-planning firm based in Boston. The magnitude of the building is such that it has to be developed in phases. Currently the complex consists of two connected 6-storey laboratory and classroom complex with a combined covered area of 300,000 sq-ft. Provision for another 250,000sq-ft building is available to cater to the future requirements of the school. In addition to this complex, a 25,000 sq-ft physical plant, a 10 MW grid station and a pH Neutralisation Plant are salient features of the SBASSE infrastructure.
The complex promises to be a facility that will prepare the SBASSE for new challenges with cutting-edge research labs and flexible space. The laboratory designs for the 26 research, 10 teaching and 2 support labs are based on extensive first-hand research of some of the world’s finest laboratories at top ranking universities. It incorporates vibration control, safety and environmental protection measures with guidance from leading US based architectural and engineering firms, including Payette Associates, Walter P. Moore, BDMI and Vanderwell Engineers.
The building also has space for five computer work areas and three lounges which serve as interaction spaces to allow students to discuss problems and new ideas in a comfortable and stimulating environment.
- Flexible space design that allows for reconfiguration as needs evolve.
- Labs incorporate vibration control for accuracy and precision in high resolution microscopy, imaging and photonics, etc.
- Wet Labs (Biology and Chemistry) provided with special ventilation and exhaust system.
- An automatic pH Neutralisation Plant capable of neutralising up to 200 gallons per hour installed for safe chemical waste disposal.
- Lab safety procedures developed to follow procedures assuring compliance with national & international laws and regulations.